TV411

Tune in to Learning

What do you think of the new TV411?

April 3rd, 2012 43 Comments

What’s cooking here at TV411? We’ve got a new website with loads of videos and plenty of web lessons. In addition to all our great reading, writing, and math activities, we’ve added a mouth-watering new cooking show where Chef Jamika Pessoa blends science and math with tasty recipes.

What videos and web lessons have you found helpful? What topics would you like to find out more about? Is there something that you wish was on the site but isn’t there?

Leave a comment and tell us what you think about the new website.

April 3rd, 2012 43 Comments

Forty three comments

Trudi Thomas

I really enjoyed all the videos.Watching the math portions were very good for me,because i really shy away from math.Ithink tv 411 is a wonderful way to exspose students to a variaty of concepts for citical thinking.Thank you tv411.goodnight.

King Melchizedek

Linda Swanson the videos are better now than they were yesturday for me. They now are running off and on every last one. From the cop stating how he summerizes his report to the poet Jimmy Baca telling us how he was taught from a child that he did not need to learn to read and write; but wow now he's a writer and a poet. 

King Melchizedek

I agree with you Trudi Thomas, the videos are good. The only problem is that from my stand point I am getting bits and pieces of audio and the videos are start and stop, so I can get only start and start action.The video by Liz Torrus was one of the worst. I do know it was about finances, paychecks, percentage, deducting from a paycheck etc. I don't know whether it's on my end or the university or both.

Noah Goodman- TV411 Moderator

Trudi, what math concepts were helpful for you? Any tips or specific strategies that has helped you that you might want to share with other users of the site?

King Melchizedek, all our videos are hosted on Vimeo so they should generally run fine from that end. If you're watching our science videos, they have a high definition and a low definition option, so if you're on a slower connection/computer, you shoudl make sure you're watching the low definition video. I agree with you that Jimmy Baca has an uplifting story and is really a great presence. 

Dolores Martinez

Noah Goodman:I am using your site on my own.  I am semi-retired, but still have the need to keep my brain as up to date as possible. I was wondering if there is a fast way of me knowing which lessons I still have to do.  Because when I re-enter some of them I realize I've already done those, but it stays on my listing as 'in progress' although I have 'completed' them. thanksDolores Martinez     

Dolores Martinez, lessons are marked as "completed" when you get to the final "Wrap-up" page. So even if you go through all the activities and questions, they remain "In Progress" in your portfolio until you click the "Finish" button on the last question of the last activity. Tell me whether that helps. Any favorite videos or anything you learnt that was helpful? 

tracy stephens

well, this is what I think of this web site it is informative but at the same time kindive a waist as well. because I;m sudying business managment not cooking

Sandy Mills

Just started this program, and It is wonderful.  I've watched a few videos.  Very helpful and educational.

Tracy, the TV411 What's Cooking series has lots of great information about science and math as well as cooking. If you're studying business management though, you might want to check out our finance and math sections. We also have lots of of great writing resources like the Editing Checklist, Grammar and Punctuation, and How to Write a Business E-mail lessons that can be helpful for a business environment. 

Sandy, glad you're enjoying the site. Any favorite videos or concepts you found helpful?

Payton Williams

Here is a suggestion...You should have a notebook where we can write what we've learned or,well anything we want

Payton, that is a good idea. We have two places you can save your writing on the site, one is in the Fourth Activity of the Write Your Autobiography Lesson and the other is in the Third Activity of the Personal Dictionary Lesson. Once you've logged in and saved your writing, you can view the writing in your profile by clicking the "MY TV411" button on the top right of your browser. Maybe you could use one of those spaces to record your notes. Tell me if that helps or if you need any assistance figuring that out. 

Payton Williams

You should  have a social studies unit. And also as I said before, we should have a  notebook where we (fellow tv411 participants) can write what we have Learned or What we thought about the subject. And It would also be cool if we could have a Journal to write whatever we want...!!! It would also be cool If we could have a chat room where we could chat with each other about whatever we want. 

Great ideas Payton, I love your enthusiasm :). Have you tried using the Personal Dictionary or the Autobiography lessons as a notebook to record your thoughts? If so, was that helpful? My hope for these discussions here is that they can be place where TV411 participants like you can come to share ideas and help each other out. Did you check out our new discussion topic on bacteria? I'd love to hear what you think over there. Thanks again for the input. 

Pages